2011 BRIDGETOWN CIDERFEST SOAP BOX DERBY
9:00 am • Saturday, September 17, 2011
CATEGORIES: Ages 5 - 8 years, 9 - 12 years, 13 years and up
PRIZES: 1st, 2nd & 3rd prizes will be awarded a trophy and a cash prize based on a percentage of the total entry fees in each category (1st = 50%, 2nd = 30%, 3rd = 20%)
ONE SPECIAL PRIZE FOR BEST OVERALL TIME OF THE DAY
Your name will be engraved on the Bridgetown Soapbox Derby Cup which will remain on display in the Town of Bridgetown
A waiver/registration form must be completed for each racer and submitted on or before the day of the race. The Ciderfest Soap Box Derby is a youth/family competition to race gravity cars (gigs). Each racer will pilot their gravity car down the Washington St. track several times on the day of the Soap Box Derby. If you feel that either the premises and/or equipment are unsafe, you and your child should immediately move to a safe location, report to a Soap Box Derby official the unsafe conditions and refuse to participate further in the Derby. Each competitor must have a parent/guardian at the event. You must understand that competing in this event is potentially dangerous. Parents/gardians should work with their son/daughter to build a gravity cart that can be safely operated by her/him. Every competitor must wear a helmet at all times and should operate her/his gravity car in a safe manner at all times. Wearing gloves and other safety equipment is highly recommended.
Prizes up for grabs
- The car must be stable with a minimum of three wheels. All wheels must have contact with the ground at all times. Cars subject to pre-race inspection. Cars deemed unsafe by the officials will not be allowed to race.
- The car must have a brake that the driver can use to effectively slow and stop the car.
- The driver must be able to steer the car.
- The driver seat must not be more than six inches above the height of the axles.
- The car must have at least 28 inches between the wheels and must not be more than 3 ft. wide incl. w heels.
- The wheels on the car must be at least 5 inches in diameter.
- The driver must wear a helmet at all times. General safety gear is recommended.
- The car must have an attachment point on the front and back so that a 4 ft. tow rope, fitted with two carabiners, can be hooked in place. Cars will be towed back up the hill in a long train. The 4 ft. tow rope, with carabiners at each end, is to be supplied by the owner of the car. Entrants will also be towed by the rope in the Bridgetown Ciderfest Parade.
- The car will have a small box or similar area to carry the 4 foot tow rope needed to tow the car up the hill.
- Cars will be on the course one at a time and will race against the clock. Slowest time is discarded and the remaining results are averaged.
- Only one driver in the car at a time, no passengers.
- The car should be constructed so that in the event of a sudden stop, the driver is not hurt on any sharp steering, frame or other car parts.
- The car will have a gravity start and may not be pushed or have any form of propulsion.
- Cars should have at least 2 inch of ground clearance to avoid hitting bumps that may be in the road.
- Amount of officially timed runs will depend on amount of entrants and will be determined on race day .
- You must contact the race organizer, Allen at 588-2024, before the Derby with the names of the racers that will be participating.
- Cars can be entered into the Show and Shine at Jubilee Park, Sunday, Sept. 18, 2011.
- Entrance fee is $10.00 per participant payable to: Chamber of Commerce
- Download this set of rules here
Payments and registrations/waivers can be:
DROPPED OFF TO : Valley Credit Union, 279 Granville St., Bridgetown NS B0S 1C0 or |
MAILED TO : Chamber of Commerce, P.O. Box 467, Bridgetown NS B0S 1C0